April 25, 2014

Toy Management


It's so hard to keep a tidy house with toys everywhere.  I don't even know where they all came from. Here's my approach for organizing toys. 



  • Have a toy quota.  The more toys that are in the house the less the children play with them.  Usually the kids have favourites they play with everyday, and the rest just sit.  If that's the case what's the point of of having them?  When we reach the maximum toy limit, the 'toys in toys out' rule applies.  The kids can have a new one, but they have to give away an old one.  
  • Rotate toys.  I always give the kids a few things to play with and store the rest away.  When they get bored with the toys that are out, I switch them with the ones in bins.  It's like having new toys again, for free, with less mess.  
  • Use blankets.  This works best with Lego and other small toys.  Lay a blanket on the floor and tell the kids them must keep everything on it.  I like to use a king sized bed sheet.  When it's time to clean up simply gather the corners and put it in a container.  Done. 
  • Keep the toys in designated areas.  Just like the Lego stays on the blanket; the trains stay on the train table, the MegaBloks stay in the bedroom and the crayons stay on the kitchen table.  If they don't, they are taken away.
  • Always clean up when finished.  Sometimes my boys will play with one toy all day and sometimes they jump from toy to toy to toy.  If they want to switch activities, they need to clean up before they start something new.
  • Play with them.  I find that my boys are less likely to fling toys everywhere when I'm right there playing with them.  Plus this is a great way to bond.
  • Invest in quality toys.  My sons' favourite toys are their Lego, steel tractors, wooden trains and blocks.  Of course they will play with plastic cars and other things, but it doesn't take long until they break and I have to throw them away. 
  • Consider tools instead of toys.  Of course this depends on the child, their age and if they need supervision.  Children naturally love work.  Things like small hammers, screwdrivers, measuring tape, brooms and kitchen utensils teach children everyday skills and are fun to play with.
  • Choose battery-operated toys wisely.  I listen to the toy before I buy it.  Will I be able to tolerate these noises all day?  Is it still fun to play with, without batteries?  Am I willing to pay to replace the batteries when needed?  Is it educational?
  • Let children buy their own.  Things that are earned through hard work are generally more cared for.  This teaches work ethic, patience and responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment