March 07, 2014

My Homemaking Essentials

We are a one income family, we don't have everything, or the best of what I would like, but these are the things I use constantly.



  • Sewing Machine:  I grew up using my mom's and knew I would want my own one day.  My husband gave me a Singer on our first Christmas after we got married, and I use it all the time.  I always have a stack of alterations, mending and new projects on the go.  I don't know what I would do without it. 
  • Stand Mixer:  This is new for me.  My family used to live with my sister's family and my sister has one.  So I kinda got hooked.  I don't do a lot of baking, but when I do, my Stand Mixer saves so much time.  I use it mostly for pizza dough and muffins.  My Kitchen Aid was also a gift from my husband (he's a keeper)!
  • Countertop Convection Oven:  We use it everyday in place of a microwave and even the large oven.  I mostly use it for warming food, but I also roast chicken, bake pizza, make bread and anything else that fits inside.
  • Slow Cooker:  Anything that makes my job easier, is something I want to use in my home.  And nothing is easier then throwing a chicken and a bunch of veggies in a pot and having dinner ready a few hours later.  I sometimes like to slow cook food, then roast in the oven for a few minutes for a crispier meal.
  • Blender:  Smoothies are a great way to drink healthy food.  My boys love smoothies in a cup or making them into popsicles.  I also use my blender for soups, sauces, dips, and other drinks.
  • Vacuum Cleaner:  I wish I had a better one, but I am so thankful for the one I have.  When you have a house full of little kids, you have a house full of crumbs and dirt.  I love a freshly vacuumed floor, even if it only lasts an afternoon.  
  • Food Processor:  Since my baby is still eating baby food, I use my food processor a couple times a week.  It's really small so it wasn't expensive and doesn't take up much space.  Food processors are usually easy to clean too, which is a nice bonus.