December 05, 2015

Making Christmas Merrier

I honestly can't remember what my kids got for Christmas a couple of years ago.  I don't even remember what my husband and I got them.  We usually get them new socks and pyjamas every year, and probably bought some LEGO or other toys.  After that, I don't remember.


Last year we decided to spend our time and money on things we will remember beyond the next year.  So our family of five, traveled from British Columbia to Ontario to celebrate Christmas with family and friends.  We weren't able to buy many gifts for the kids, after paying for flights, and didn't have much suitcase space to bring them home.  But that didn't matter, because we got to bring home something much more special.  Memories.

My mother in law suggested doing a '12 days of Christmas' celebration. Everyday we do different activity; either simple or complicated, with everyone or with just a few of us.  Here's a few of the things we did:
  • Decorating the Christmas Tree
  • Christmas baking
  • The Toronto Science Centre
  • Hockey Games
  • The London Children's Museum
  • Bowling
  • Laser Tag
  • Family dinners
  • Movies
  • Indoor playground
  • Christmas crafts

We also visited with my side of the family and many of our friends. The kids still got some new socks and pyjamas; and a couple of little cars (mostly to play with on the airplane ride home), but the memories we made will definitely outlast the enjoyment of any toys.

My favourite gift was a dinner and night out with just my husband and I.   It was nice, not only because he had just been away at work for 6 weeks prior, but it was my first night away from the kids in 4 years.  4 years!  We enjoyed a delicious dinner and the most restful sleep we both had for a long time.

I hope our children will not only remember the fun things we did with them, but also how important it is to invest in relationships. We plan do more 'memory gifts' every year and carry on our new family traditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment